Saturday, January 26, 2008

My New Hobby

Technically, it might be a bit early to call this a new hobby. I haven't done it once yet. But my brilliant idea to climb Iztaccihuatl has really got me thinking - I was born to climb mountains! As I mentioned in a recent post, Izta is a monster, the third highest peak in Mexico and has a glacier on it. So I'm going to need to practise a bit. Next month I'm off to Tepoztlan where there is a small mountain with a pyramid on top that I can climb. But that's childs play, so to speak. An hour to the top.

toluca.jpg

So after that, sometime in May I reckon, I shall grab a tent and sleeping bag and anyone who wants to come along and head off to the Nevado de Toluca. This is Mexico's 4th highest peak, but is much, much more accessible and the summit is reachable without any special gear. It's still pretty high up though - 15,354 feet. Not quite Ixta's 17,126 feet, but getting there. It's a dormant volcano with two very photographable lakes in the crater. I can see myself getting into this mountain climbing business!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments: